Ingredients for chicken meat stock
- 4 lbs Chicken backs, necks, feet
- 4 qts Filtered water
- ¼ cup Apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
Ingredients for soup
- 4 qts Chicken meat stock
- 1 lb Shredded chicken meat from the chicken stock
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Onion, diced
- 5 Potatoes, cubed
- ½ Purple cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 Bunch of spinach, chopped
- 12 oz Jar of cubed tomatoes (Jovial brand is best)
Directions for chicken meat stock
1. Using a cleaver or large knife to make multiple cuts into the skin and bones of the chicken necks, backs, and feet.
2. Place chicken parts into a large stockpot. Add 1/4 cup of vinegar, then 4-5 quarts of filtered water to just barely cover the chicken bones. Let sit for 10-30 minutes.
3. Then bring the pot to a rolling boil and skim the scum that rises to the top and discard. Reduce to heat to simmer.
4. Simmer for 2-3hrs.
5. Remove the chicken carcass and let cool.
6. Strain meat stock into glass mason jars or directly back into the pot to make the soup.
7. Once the chicken carcass has cooled, pick off all the meat from the backs and necks and set aside to be used in the soup, or save for later to be used in other recipes.
Directions for soup
1. Prep the vegetables for the soup. Roughly cube the potatoes, dice the onion, chop the spinach and cabbage. Use a garlic press for the 3 cloves of garlic.
2. Add the onions, potatoes, crushed tomatoes to the meat stock and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
3. Next add the cabbage and simmer for another 5 minutes.
4. Finally add in the spinach, shredded chicken, and pressed garlic and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
5. Generously salt the soup to taste, enjoy!