- Use a very sharp knife when slicing the beef heart
- Make sure to trim the beef heart of the connective tissue, excess fat, and valves
- Cut the meat into thin strips similar to regular beef jerky
- It will be easier to cut into thin strips when the meat is frozen
- For optimal flavor, marinate the meat in the spice mixture for 24hrs before dehydrating
Meat jerky using beef heart
1 beef heart trimmed and frozen (usually 2-3lbs)
1/2 cup of coconut aminos
1 tsp of paprika
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
1/2 tsp of chili powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of pepper
- Begin by trimming the frozen beef heart of excess connective tissue, fat, and valves.
- Once the beef heart has been cleaned, slice the meat into thin strips or pieces.
- Place the beef slices into a glass bowl and add the coconut aminos and spices.
- Cover, refrigerate, and marinate for 24hrs.
- The next day, if using the oven, preheat the oven to the lowest heat setting possible (usually 150-170 degrees F).
- Place the beef slices onto parchment paper and onto the dehydrator shelves. Or if using the oven, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the beef slices onto the parchment paper. Make sure there is space between the slices.
- Turn on the dehydrator to 150 and dry out the meat for 2hrs.
- At the two hour mark, use tongs to flip the jerky and dry out the other side. Dry for 2 more hours.
- The jerky is ready when it is dry, chewy and crispy. Serve with pats of butter for extra deliciousness.
- Store in an airtight container in the pantry to preserve freshness.
Keywords: Beef, organ meats, meat, snack